Happy Friday to you! I don’t know about you but we are in full-on FALL mode over here!
To give you a jump start on the weekend, from the Kitchen of Jillian Harris comes the most perfect Fall recipe!
Spiced Apple Cinnamon Waffles
For Waffles (makes 2 large waffles)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
For Spiced Apple Topping
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar or golden Lakanto sweetener (if you prefer sugar free)
- Cinnamon (sprinkle amount of your liking)
- 1 Apple, thinly sliced
- 10 pecans, chopped
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add brown sugar, cinnamon, sliced apple, pecans, and cook until apples are soft.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the soy milk, applesauce, olive oil and vanilla. Stir until combined. Do not over mix, (some lumps are okay, doesn’t need to be smooth.)
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray, and add approximately 1/2 cup of batter (amount will vary based on the size of your waffle maker) into hot waffle iron and cook until golden and crispy.
- Top waffles with the spiced apple topping, vegan yogurt, hemp hearts, syrup, or whatever your heart desires!
Notes for the Perfect Waffle
Be sure to preheat your waffle iron before starting to mix up the batter.
Do not lift up the waffle iron before the timer or light goes off indicating they’re fully cooked. This will allow the waffles to fully cook inside while getting the outside crispy.
Don’t stack the waffles as you would pancakes when taking them out of the waffle iron.
To prevent them from getting soggy, place them on a wire baking rack in a single layer.
These actually keep quite well in the fridge and freezer. Toss into the toaster and breakfast is served!
I hope you enjoy this new Fall favourite of mine! Happy weekend to you, too!